Friday, February 10, 2012

Handmade Collage Valentine Card

Love is in the air and Valentines Day is just around the corner. I have been busy making handmade Valentines cards for some of my family members.

This is a collage. A collage may include newspaper clippings, ribbons, bits of colored or hand-made papers, portions of other artwork or texts, photographs and other found objects, glued to a piece of paper or canvas.
You do not have to be an artist to create a collage. You just have to have a good imagination and a collection of ephemera that could be used for your project.

I hope this will inspire you to create an original card for your sweetheart on Valentines Day.

This is how I made my Valentine collage;
  • I started with a blank greeting card that measures 4 1/2" by 5 1/2". The card is red on the outside and white on the inside. I used a Martha Stewart Punch (Cherish) to punch the front edge of the card.
  • I cut a 3 1/2" heart from a piece of patterned paper with foil hearts and from an old Bingo playing card. If you don't have scrapbooking paper, you could use a piece of pretty wrapping paper or a page from an old book.
  • I found this picture of a Victorian girl in my scrapbooking stash. You could use a real photo that you sized to fit the card or a photo from a book/magazine.
  • I punched a 1" heart from felt and placed it at the top of the Bingo card heart.
  • I used a Martha Stewart button punch to make a button from a Bingo card. I put a red glitter heart in the center of the button punch. You could use a real button or a favorite sticker.
  • The ticket "Adore" is from a package of Tim Holtz embellishments. You could use the text from an old greeting card or a handwritten note.
  • I embellished the card with 3 pink butterflies that I punched with a Martha Stewart punch. I added some glitter and attached them to the card with glue dots. I added a small heart sticker to the side of the card.
There is no limit to the creative cards you can make with old paper, fabric, lace and embellishment that you probably have in your home. It is time to reuse, recycle and upcycle some of the items that might end up in your trash bin.

Happy creating!

Please share your thoughts in the Comments Section below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...