A digital stamp in crafting, stamping, card making and scrapbooking is a digital image printed onto paper from the user's printer. Digital stamps come in a variety of formats, including PNG, JPG, and TIFF. Digital stamps offer many advantages over traditional rubber stamps because of their ability to be flipped, resized, rotated and easily stored.
In addition, digital stamps can be printed on a variety of papers and cardstocks, and when properly heat sealed can be used with a variety of coloring mediums including colored pencil, copic markers, even watercolors.
I have been hooked on handmade card making for the past two years. My very favorite source of digital images is Mo's Digital Pencil Shop. Maurie J. Manning is a children's book illustrator who has built a very successful digital image business.
This is the step-by-step process that I use in making cards using a digital image;
- I choose an image from my "digital stamps" folder on my computer. I have hundreds of images stored in this folder.
- I use Microsoft Word or a picture editor program to size the image and print it on a piece of watercolor paper. This paper is thicker than cardstock and is better for coloring the image with colored pencils.
- I color the image with Prismacolor pencils and a blender pen. The blender pen contains a solvent that melts the wax pencil lead so that you can blend the colors together.
- I use scrapbooking tape and glue dots to mount the image to cardstock and patterned paper. There are many different layouts that you can use to put the card together.
- I embellish the card with ribbon, bows, lace, buttons, etc.
I created this video last night using the Animoto online video service. These are cards that I have made using digital images from Mo's Digital Pencil Shop.
As I watch this video, I think about all my friends who have received these cards on their birthday, wedding anniversary, Valentine's Day, Christmas....or just because I was thinking about them. Card making is a wonderful hobby that allows you to spread joy to those around you. You can get started making handmade cards with supplies that you have around your house. This is a great way to send your love to family and friends.
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments section below.