Monday, November 8, 2010

Book Review: The Handmade Marketplace

I purchased The Handmade Marketplace: How to Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, and On-Line, by Kari Chapin, from Amazon.Com and downloaded it onto my Kindle.
I am loving my Kindle.  I use the voice-enabled mode and listen to my books while I am walking.
I have been making handmade greeting cards for over a year and I am in the process of opening a store on Artfire.Com.  I bought this book to learn more about selling and marketing my cards and I was not disappointed. 
The author covers setting goals, branding and basic business procedures.  She interviews many successful crafters who share their tips for success.  I found Part 2 of the book on marketing your crafts very informative and helpful.  Kari gives detailed information about joining online communities, blogging, putting together a press kit, podcasting and social media.  I have never tried podcasting so I found this part of the book especially interesting. 
The author gives information about selling at craft fairs, setting up online stores and selling at brick-and-motor stores.  She also provides ideas for "creative" opportunities such as joining a co-op, teaching courses, house parties and selling kits and patterns.
There is an excellent "Resourses Section" at the end of this book that will provide you with tons of additional information, ideas and opportunities. This book offers up-to-date information that will help crafters take their business to the next level. 
Highly recommended!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...