Monday, January 19, 2009

Twitter Is Like Catching Your First Fish




Fishing Lesson from Janette Fuller on Vimeo.

This video of Kaley catching her first fish in our pond shows you how I felt as I was getting my feet wet on Twitter.

Here are five reasons why using Twitter is like catching your first fish;
  1. Cast your line in the water and wait. It was hard for me to be patient when I first cast my line out in the Twitterverse. You can't just jump in and start trying to influence people. It takes time to build relationships and establish an authentic online reputation. I learned to cast out my line and slowly build a following.

  2. Be prepared for a nibble. Be ready to answer questions and return comments when Tweeps communicate with you. Tweet something of value in the midst of conversation you are having with your followers.

  3. Reel the fish in. Keep a positive attitude and consistently post tweets that help other people. People are not going to care about what you know until they believe that you care about them. I learned that being a good listener is a valuable trait on Twitter.

  4. Ask for help if you need it. Twitter is a great place to ask questions. If you need advice or encouragement, you can find it on Twitter. It is just amazing how helpful your fellow Tweeps can be.

  5. Smile for the camera. Enjoy your sucess. It might be a little scary to wake up one morning and realize that you have thousands of followers waiting for your next tweet of wisdom. Keep a sense of humor and enjoy the ride.

Keep tweeting and be prepared to hang a big one!

Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/janettefuller

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...