Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Don't Mash Your Banana In My Book!

I thought I would do something different today.

When I worked as a school librarian, I was always teaching the students how to take care of their books. I told them it was very important to keep books safe from babies, pets and pens.
One day, I discovered a book had been returned to the library with a banana mashed in the pages. I never solved the "case of the mashed banana" but I wrote this rhyming story about that unforgettable experience.


My little brother took my book,
He hid it in his room.
When I found it on his bed,
I knew that I was doomed.


I slowly turned the pages,
I had a funny feeling.
What I saw made me cry and shake,

I felt my body reeling.

This book came from the library,
My teacher said it was new.
Now I had a big problem,
I didn't know what to do.

I ran to find my mother,
I couldn't think what to say.
She took one look and gave a big sigh,
I knew I would have to pay.

My brother took a banana,
And mashed it in my book.
He thought it was very funny,
He liked the way it looked.

I put the book in a plastic bag,
And carried it under my arm.
I gave the book to my teacher,
And told her I meant no harm.

She slowly opened my library book,
Her face turned ghastly white.
She stared at the mashed banana,

It was an awful sight.

I waited for my teacher to yell or scream,
I didn't know what she would say.
She slowly removed the banana,
And quickly threw it away.

My teacher asked what happened,
"Who did this to your book?"
I told her my little brother,
Just wanted to take a look.

I used the money from my bank,
To pay for the gooey gook.
I just have one thing to say to my brother,
Don't Mash Your Banana In My Book!
Copyright 2013 by Janette Fuller.

I would love for you to FOLLOW this blog. You may use either the Google Friend Connect or the Networked Blog widget to show your support and encouragement.

Please share your thoughts in the Comments Section below.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...