Friday, October 5, 2012

Walk Like MADD

The 1990 Ford Taurus that I was driving on October 16, 1992.
This is the car that I was driving on October 16, 1992. I was driving Cindy, my 11-year-old daughter, home from her piano lesson at 8:00 pm on a Friday evening. We were driving west on Wharton Weems Road in La Porte, Texas, when a drunk driver swerved across the center line and hit us head-on.

My right leg was crushed and it took me many months to recover. I continue to have health problems related to this injury. My daughter was badly shaken but did not suffer any serious physical injuries.

It has been almost twenty years since we were involved in this wreck. Unfortunately, drunk driving is still a serious problem. The cure is possible ~ It's all of us choosing to drive sober or designating a driver if we drink alcohol.

Did you know that an average drunk driver has driven drunk 80 times before first arrest? The driver that was involved in our wreck was a repeat offender and had multiple DWIs on his record.

Candy Lightner founded Mothers Against Drunk Driving in 1980 after her daughter, Cari, was killed by a repeat drunk driving offender.  A representative of MADD was sitting in the court room when the drunk driver that hit Cindy and I received a ten year prison sentence.

Tomorrow, Dean and I will be participating in the Walk Like MADD event in The Woodlands, Tx. We will be joining hundreds of other people who have been impacted by drunk drivers.

If you can support us in this endeavor, I would be very appreciative. Cindy and I were very blessed, we survived a head-on collision and went on to enjoy all the joys that life has to offer. Many people are not so fortunate.

You can help us find the cure. If you drink, don't drive.

Please share your thoughts in the Comments Section below.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...