Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Powerful Testimony


Sharquent Webster shares the story of her tragic childhood in "He Kan't Kill Your Future: For I Know the Plans I Have for You Declares the Lord...". The good thing about this book is that it has a happy, joyful ending. This book is a testimony about how the love of Jesus Christ can change lives.
I now realize that I have lived a very sheltered life. I have to admit that many parts of this book were difficult for me to read. I never imagined that there are children in the United States who are living in this kind of poverty and abuse.  It was difficult to put this book down because I really needed to find out how this courageous young woman could overcome such a horrific childhood.
Mrs. Webster is not a professional writer but she writes from the heart and soul. I felt like she was talking directly to me when she was writing about how she was the seventh of ten children in a family growing up in South Central Los Angeles. Her father left the family and her mother suffered serious mental problems as she struggled to keep her family fed. Her mother dealt with the pressures of caring for her large family by dumpster diving and hoarding. She often left her children alone while she walked the streets in search of food and treasures.
Sharquent provides vivid details about how she walked the streets, was molested, raped and developed a drug addiction before she was old enough to drive. She hustled and snatched purses to finance her drug habit. She dropped out of school in junior high and spent her teenage years running with gang members and drug dealers. She eventually spent some time in jail but this did not heal her craving for PCP and crack. She had two children and lost custody of both of them.

Sharquent finally "hit bottom" and decided to enter the Victory Outreach Rehabilitation Center. This was a Christian home for young women who were homeless and broken. She spent a year at Victory Outreach and graduated from the program. She learned about the love of Christ and the fact that He had good plans for her life. The Lord could heal her and use her to help other hurting women.

Sharquent Webster is a powerful example of how God can take a "no-good dirty drug addict" and use her to bring Him glory. Jesus saves.

I want to thank Mrs. Webster for sending me a copy of this book to read and review. Reading this book was an experience that I won't soon forget.

Please post your thoughts in the Comments section below.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...