The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective, by Andy Andrews, is one of the best books that I have ever read. The story begins with the author telling how his life was once a hopeless mess. He was a homeless young man living under a pier when he met Jones...not Mr. Jones, just Jones. Jones encouraged young Andy by telling him that he was right where he was supposed to be. He also asked Andy to read some books about famous people. Jones said, "By reading about the lives of great people, you can unlock the secrets to what made them great." These stories gave Andy a different perspective.
I have always loved to read stories about famous people. I remember going to the library as a child and picking out books about Clara Barton and Abigail Adams. Reading about other people really can give you a new perspective on your own life.
Perspective--it's about how you look at things--how you look at life. Jones offered the simple gift of perspective to several people in his community when they needed it the most. This change of perspective led to lives changed for the better.
Here are some key concepts from the book that helped me gain a new and better perspective on life;
- A true friend brings out the best in you.
- Four dialects that we use to express love; spoken words of approval, favors and deeds, physical contact, and love expressed in quality time.
- It's time to stop letting your history control your destiny.
- One can walk through the forest and never look up. But you can pick a single leaf and know all sorts of information about the tree you are under ~ Choose your friends wisely.
- If you are still alive, then you are still here, physically, on this planet. If you are still here, then you have not completed what you were put on earth to do.
- Most people think it takes a long time to change. It doesn't. Change is immediate! Instantaneous! It may take a long time to decide to change...but change happens in a heartbeat.
- Think about how other people would like to change you.
- The best is yet to come.
Jones offered hope to many residents of Orange Beach, Alabama. He helped them see things in a different perspective. At the end of the story, Andy found the suitcase that Jones carried left in a parking lot. There was a special message inside that touched the hearts of all who knew him.
I highly recommend this book. It will transform your life.