Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Home Cooking At The Big Hats and Little Whispers Bistro

Dean and I went on a road trip today. Our destination was Bellville, Texas.

We had lunch at a quaint little cafe named the Big Hats and Little Whispers Bistro at 24 N Holland Street.

I don't remember ever entering a "bistro" before. I was so curious that I looked up the word in a dictionary. A bistro is defined as "a small or unpretentious European restaurant".  Well, we were not in Europe but the cafe is small and unpretentious, so two out of three is not bad.

The Daily Special
We were told that the cafe serves one hot meal each day and then has a variety of specialty sandwiches. A local gentleman told me that if we wanted to order the daily special, we needed to get to the cafe at 11:30 because the food would be gone by noon. When it is gone, it is gone.

We entered the Bistro at 11:20 am and we each ordered the daily special. Today is Tuesday so the special was smothered chicken, fried potato cakes, a fruit cup and a choice of coffee or tea. The price of the meal was $7.25.

We chose a nice table by a window and the food was delivered to our table very quickly.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect with the "smothered chicken." I know that I have prepared chicken in many different ways but I don't think I have ever smothered it.

I received a nice sized chicken breast that was covered with thick white chicken gravy, fried onions and bacon. I don't even want to think about how much cholesterol this meal had in it. I will worry about how to get my arteries unclogged at some point in the future.
Today I just gave it up and ate like there was no tomorrow.

The chicken seemed to melt in my mouth and truly tickled my taste buds. It was really good. The two fried potato cakes were just like the ones my mother makes. They were crisp on the outside and very tasty. I added a touch of salt to the potato cakes and they were perfect. The fruit cup was a nice attempt to make this meal healthy.

The bistro is decorated in an eclectic country style that is very warm and welcoming. The employees were very friendly and even offered to take our picture when they noticed that we had our cameras out.

My Rating
We enjoyed our visit to The Big Hats and Little Whispers Bistro. If you are looking for some Southern-style home cooking, this is a great place to dine.

Atmosphere ~ 5 Stars out of 5
Friendliness ~ 5 Stars out of 5
Price ~ 4 Stars out of 5
Taste ~ 5 Stars out of 5
Cholesterol Alert ~ 3 Stars out of 5

Please share your thoughts in the Comments Section below.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...