Friday, May 6, 2011

MOTHER (A Word That Means The World To Me)

In the United States, Julia Ward Howe suggested the idea of Mother's Day in 1872.  Howe, who wrote the words to the Battle Hymn of the Republic, saw Mother's Day as being dedicated to peace.  Anna Jarvis of Philadelphia is credited with bringing about the official observance of Mother's Day. Her campaign to establish such a holiday began as a remembrance of her mother, who died in 1905 and who had, in the late 19th century, tried to establish "Mother's Friendship Days" as a way to heal the scars of the Civil War.

This Sunday is Mother's Day. I would like to share with you a song that was published in 1915 and has become a Mother's Day favorite. The lyrics were written by Howard Johnson and the melody was composed by Theodore Morse.

MOTHER, A Word That Means The World To Me

I've been around the world, you bet,
But never went to school,
Hard knocks are all I seem to get,
Perhaps I've been a fool;

But still, some educated folks, supposed to be so swell,
Would fail, if they were called upon a simple word to spell.
Now if you'd like to put me to a test,
There's one dear name that I can spell the best:

CHORUS
"M" is for the million things she gave me,
"O" means only that she's growing old,
"T" is for the tears were shed to save me,
"H" is for her heart of purest gold;
"E" is for her eyes, with love-light shining,
"R" means right, and right she'll always be,
Put them all together, they spell "MOTHER",
A word that means the world to me.

When I was but a baby,
long before I learned to walk,
While lying in my cradle,
I would try my best to talk;

It wasn't long, before I spoke, and all the neighbors heard,
My folks were very proud of me for "Mother" was the word.
Although I'll never lay a claim to fame,
I'm satisfied that I can spell this name:

CHORUS
"M" is for the mercy she possesses,
"O" means that I owe her all I own,
"T" is for her tender sweet caresses,
"H" is for her hands that made a home;
"E" means everything she's done to help me,
"R" means real and regular, you see,
Put them all together they spell "MOTHER",
A word that means the world to me.


The ladies in our church choir sang this song during the worship service on Mother's Day, 2009. Click HERE to see the video (I am playing the piano).

Happy Mother's Day!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...