Friday, April 1, 2011

Once In A Lifetime

Today I have the privilege to write about a book that is near and dear to my heart. Rev. Clyde E. Nichols has been an important part of my life and I am so glad that he has written this book. "Lift Up Your Eyes" is a book of Christian devotions that Rev. Nichols has written over the past four decades. He has written a weekly newspaper column, "Lift Up Your Eyes",  for the Temple Daily Telegram (Temple, Texas) for the past 46 years. The first column ran on May 8, 1965, and it has been a regular feature in the Saturday edition since then.

Rev. Nichols has chosen the very best of his columns to include in this book of 366 devotions (one for each day of the year plus Leap Year). There are extra devotions at the end of the book for holidays (Martin Luther King Day, Palm Sunday, Good Friday, Easter, Mother's Day, Memorial Day, Father's Day and Thanksgiving).

The name of the book comes Psalms 121: 1-2, "I lift up my eyes to the hills. From whence does my help come? My help comes from the Lord..." Each devotion is based on a true story from history, literature, a movie or the personal experiences of Rev. Nichols. There is a Scripture verse included with each devotion.

Rev. Clyde E. Nichols served as senior minister of the First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of Temple, Texas, from 1963 to 1986. He served as an associate pastor at LaPorte Community Church (Laporte, Texas) in the early 1990s. My husband and I grew to know and love Rev. Nichols during these years. In November 1991, he performed our marriage ceremony. In 1992, he was by my side after I was seriously injured in a head-on car wreck with a drunk driver. Rev. Nichols baptized both my husband and I in the Chapel at LaPorte Community Church in 1993. He was everything you could ask for in a pastor.

I have read many Christian devotional books, but this book is truly a once-in-a-lifetime reading experience. The book is inspirational, motivational and will lead you to a closer relationship with Jesus Christ. This book is now available on the AuthorHouse site in hardcover, paperback and e-book format.

Rev. Nichols provided me with a free copy of this book in digital format to read and review. I hope to travel to Temple on April 30th to celebrate the publishing of this book and Rev. Nichol's 90th birthday. I will purchase a signed hardback copy of this book and keep it on my nightstand. I will read a devotion from this book each night to end my day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...