Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dear Pastor Fred

To:  Pastor Fred Phelps
Westboro Baptist Church
Topeka, Kansas

Dear Pastor Fred,
This morning I read a press release that stated you were planning to protest outside the Tucson shooting victim's funeral services.  You are going to use this tragedy to bring attention to the gospel of hate that you preach.  I am not impressed. 
You say that the U.S. Constitution gives you the right to assemble and express your thoughts in public.  You have gained worldwide attention by protesting at the funeral services of our fallen heros.  You carry picket signs that say "Thank God for dead soldiers", "God hates fags" and "Thank God for 9/11".  I now read that you are targeting the funeral service of nine-year-old Christina Greene.  
Pastor Fred, I have one small favor to ask of you.  Would it be possible for you to quit calling your organization a Baptist Church?  I understand that you are not affiliated with any known Baptist conventions or associations. Your church describes itself as following Primitive Baptist and Calvinist principles, but mainstream Primitive Baptists reject you.
If your church is an example of what the Baptist Church stands for, then I don't want any of it.  I see enough name calling, hatred and evil in the world around me.  I don't need to go to church to have the opportunity to carry a sign saying "Thank God for dead soldiers".
Fortunately, I belong to a Baptist Church that teaches and preaches the gospel of love and peace that was taught by Jesus Christ.  Pastor Fred, you ARE NOT a Baptist. 
Pastor Fred, I pray that you will decide not to travel to Tucson this week. 
Yours truly,
Janette





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...