Sunday, June 13, 2010

Old Book Art

I recently discoverd a site that scans illustrations from old books and makes them available to the public for no charge.  Old Book Art is owned by an antique book dealer.  The purpose of this site is simply to share public domain resources. Zephyrus Books comes across a lot of antiquarian books with wonderful old illustrations in the public domain. Many of these are not available for public sharing anywhere on the internet, at least not in an easily accessible or larger scale format, so this site was started as a free resource for anyone looking for out of copyright images.
Are there restrictions on how these images may be used?  No, commercial or personal use for any purpose is perfectly fine. This site posts only public domain content and as such cannot put any restrictions on it.
I love illustrations from antique children's books.  This picture of the girl looking at the moon is an example of an illustration from this site.  WARNING:  Do not go to this site unless you have plenty of time to browse...you won't want to leave any time soon.

8 comments:

Melanie Kissell said...

What an incredibly cool resource, Janette! You're right. I quickly clicked over and I can see that I could spend hours there!

It's really amazing that they don't put any restrictions on the use of these wonderful images. But good to know! Now I'm going to have some fun finding the ones I love. :-)

Thank you,
Melanie
#blog30

Suzie Cheel said...

Thanks Janette,
What a great find, will be seeing what I can find to use

Bobbye Middendorf said...

Janette,
WAY Cool! Thank you for sharing. I'm a bookaholic from way back. For a time, I searched out old children's books. But even better to be able to access public domain images! What a fantastic resource.
Bobbye Middendorf
The Write Synergies Guru

Sheila said...

This is a fabulous resource, Thank you. And you are right...go there only if you have the time.

Unknown said...

Incredible artwork. I'm so happy you shared this website with us. I can't wait to dig in further and see more of the illustrations. I wonder if he has retouched these, they look so vivid to be old book pages that are scanned. They are wonderful.

Gitie House said...

Thanks Janelle,

What a beautiful work of art and an amazing resource. Thanks for sharing.

Gitie

Anonymous said...

be happy and love. kiss

Anonymous said...

It's a pity you don't havе a donate button! I'd definitely donate to this brilliant blog! I guess for now i'll settle for bоοk-mаrking and аԁding your RSЅ feed to
my Goоgle acсount. I look forwaгԁ to neω upԁates and will share thіs wеbsite with mу Facebook group.
Talk sοon!
My weblog ; Additional Info

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...