Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Are You Ready For Halftime?


Is my work the center of my life and identity?

What is my truest purpose? My life work? My destiny?

What do I want to be remembered for?

These are some questions that Bob Buford asks in his book, Halftime®: Moving from Success to Significance® .

Do you dream about the day you can retire from your 9 to 5 job? This is a dream that can turn into a nightmare if you are not prepared. You need to be working on a plan for the halftime of your life right now.

I worked as an elementary school librarian for many years. In 2002, I had worked enough years to take an early retirement. This decision was made in haste and I had no idea what I would do with the rest of my life. My identity was connected to my job. I found myself frantically trying to get another job in a school library. I eventually learned that looking back with regrets was not the path to happiness.

This book tells you exactly how to change your way of thinking from making money for yourself (success) to making a difference in the world (significance). What does it really mean to "have it all"?

Bob Buford has chosen the following epitaph: 100X
This means "100 times". This was taken from the the parable of the sower in Matthew 13. Mr. Buford wants to be remembered as the seed that was planted in good soil and multiplied a hundredfold.


Halftime®: Moving from Success to Significance® was orginally published in 1994. This newly updated and expanded edition includes a foreword by Jim Collins, new questions for reflection or discussion at the end of each chapter, brand new "halftime" stories of men and women enjoying a second half of significance and specific "halftime" assignments to guide readers into their second-half mission.

This book should be required reading for anyone thinking about retirement. What are you going to do with the rest of your life?


1 comment:

infohwyman said...

Thank you for that post. I have spent the last few days sorting through my needs and wants and my responsibilities as a provider, though my wife works, I have usually brought in 60 - 70% of the household income. For the first time since 2001, I find myself unable to get considered for a job doing what I have been doing for the last decade.

I am ready to just do whatever it takes to become part of the growing number of business owners that are making their own lives instead of living for their corporate jobs and incomes. Thanks again

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...